Friday 8 November 2013

NaNoWriMo - The Handyman Day 8

The good thing about blogging when things aren't working out is you're never short of something to say. The flip-side is when everything goes well there's little to whinge about.

So I'll keep this brief because it's going unreasonably well. I struggled for a few days blending in and cutting down a whole load of Angela background into the beginning of The Handyman. I'm sure it would have been quicker to re-write it, except I'd invested so much time and effort in the original text I didn't think I had it in me to do again.

The text is now blended, some contextual changes have been made and we're into the story proper. All that planning is paying off and I'm having fun writing Daniel and Angela Harper's story.

The question is whether I think it's any good. This is of course a first draft, I don't even think of it as that - more like Beta v.02 There are some sections that will be cut and shaped and others I know need expanding. There will need to be an extensive smoothing over process to tie things up and bring it all to a cohesive whole and something closer to what I would consider a completed first draft. Which is when the real work will begin.

Right now it is all there in the same way Chasing Innocence only was going into the back third. I really did spend a lot of time hammering out the details, twists and turns of The Handyman. It feels like it is paying off. I have read back through some of the sections and love it. What a great feeling that is. I really do think the Handyman has the potential to be one of those stories you put down and are still thinking about weeks later.

Of course in two days time I'll be wringing my hands and beating my head against the desk, but then that's all part of the fun too.

NaNoWriMo The Handyman Day 6 - NaNoWriMo The Handyman Day 9 >


No comments: