Wednesday 30 May 2012

Questions I'm Never Asked (Interview)

(The Guardian): What is the most important lack in your life?

(Me): I’m rubbish at creating mental associations to sounds. It takes me forever to remember many names and I can’t dance in time to music (I dance pretty good, just not in time). Mostly it means I struggle to learn languages. I want to speak German, Swedish, Portugese, Chinese (Mandarin) and Russian (for the swearing).

What's the most blatant lie you've ever told?

They all merge together. I think the most recent one was, ‘I’m going upstairs to write.’

What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer?

‘What on earth goes on inside your head?’ I think that was also kind of a compliment.

How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?

I try to figure out the perspective they are coming from and understand what they didn’t like and then why? Did I fail the story and characters? And if that draws a blank, what do they gain from the negativity? If I can’t figure it I hunt them down on the internet and ask them very nicely.

While writing, do you take drugs, smoke marijuana or drink alcohol to beef up your creative imagination?

Sometimes I drink Peroni but it seldom aids imagination. Nor does it make me productive.

When are you going to write your autobiography?

In about ten years or immediately after I’ve done my first audio commentary for the first movie adaptation for one of my books.

Are the names of the characters in your novels important?

Extremely. Often the name corresponds to their role in the story. I have one character named after a friend.

What about the titles of your novels?

The title is an integral part of the book. As precious as my favourite character’s name, the prologue or the last chapter.

Are there any occupational hazards to being a novelist?

I write books in my spare time around a twelve hour working day. I don’t get much down time. You can suddenly realise you haven’t had a day off or done anything actually relaxing for months. As much as I love writing I don’t think that’s good for you, it certainly requires a very patient partner.

What's your favourite fruit?

Seedless grapes

Why do you write Thriller fiction?

It is the most purchased fiction genre

How many people have died in your books?

Five in book one. Over two thousand in chapter one of book two.

Ever killed someone and then regretted it?

I’ve killed someone and wished I didn’t have to.

Have you ever been in trouble with the police?

Several times

What do you think of sex?

I’d love to do it more.

Violence?

Graphic and infrequent

When were you last involved in a real-life punch-up?

A long time ago. I kicked and ran.

If you were going to commit the perfect murder, how would you go about it?

In a manner that meant I wouldn't be caught. The sequel to Chasing Innocence features a very unpleasant character who convinces women to commit suicide.

Pick a victim whose absence from the world is going to cause as few ripples as possible.

Me?

What do you want to be when you grow up?

A profitable writer.

Do you ever wish that you had an entirely uncreative job, like data entry or working in a factory?

Done that. No.

Do you believe in a deity?

I believe they’re here to stay.

Do you ever write naked?

Not often - I've a plastic chair cover. It gets sticky (from body heat).

Who would play you in a film of your life?

I’d love Nathan Fillion but that’s probably unrealistic in so many ways. Simon Pegg probably.

What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?

Introspection, imagination, despair and eternal hope. An obsessive personality and an almost contained ego. To be able to write and see how you can get better (at it). Amazon KDP.

Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or a movie?

Many times.

Do you believe in God?

Ummn, I believe gods are here to stay.

What do you consider your biggest failure?

My first marriage. We were so badly prepared.

Has the dog ever eaten your manuscript?

I’m allergic to them (dogs). The cat is having a good go but she’s only little and her teeth are small. She might shred it with those claws in double quick time though.

Do you enjoy giving interviews?

Love them.

Why are you such a pushover for everyone who wants you to do stuff for them?

I’m not. But I love to learn and like most people I like to affirm my worth by helping someone else when I can.

Do you research your novels?

Not so much during the first draft, which is essentially a horribly overwritten book outline with dialogue. I live for the edit and LOVE research. I love to learn.

How much impact does your childhood have on your writing?

Brilliant question. Almost every page of my books and what I put on them, is a result of my childhood.

What was the greatest thing you learned at school?

To (illegally) copy dialogue and stories from magazines and comic books. I got a bunch of (falsely) good grades and in the process discovered more about telling a story than I ever did in any lesson.

Do you laugh at your own jokes?

I smile knowingly.

Isn't that quite conceited?

I’m not good at dead-pan. What am I supposed to do, cry?

Do you admire your own work?

Endlessly, imagining how it can be better.

What are books for?

To entertain and inform.

And have you achieved anything?

A lot of people have paid to read what I have written. I think that’s phenomenal and would love to thank every single person that did. I worked so hard for every cent and pence to be value for money.

Are you proud?

I will be in ten books time.

Are you fun to go on holiday with?

Nope. Not unless you like being motionless and reading.

Why do you think what you do matters?

It doesn’t really, outside of me, my wife and cat. Quite a few people are asking for the next book, so I think that extends the circle a little. Which is cool.

Have you ever found true love?

Yes. It wasn’t enough. You need something between true love and a best friend. Which I do also believe I have found.

How many times a day do you think about death?

About five.

Do you think Jesus was wrong about his father?

It all depends which account of what Jesus thought about his father you listen to or read. If you’re referring to the popular myth that the father of Jesus was god, the creator of the universe and earth and all men and women. The overseer of all mankind. Then I believe I just answered that question.

Are you jealous of other writers?

Intensly.

What makes you cry?

Emotion. I cry sometimes at other peoples emotions, especially my characters. Seldom about my own, strangely enough.

What makes you laugh?

Just about everything. You have to.

What are you ashamed of?

Too many things. I’m sorry.

Why do you have a foot high model of Marv from Sin City on your desk?

The ultimate anti-hero. I’m big into them. Very inspirational.

Are there benefits to be had from using a wheelchair?

Haven’t used one in ages?

What's the loveliest thing you have ever seen?

I’d probably have to say the Scottish Highlands if your talking nature. Other than that, my wife of course.

Is John Potter your real name?

Yes

Does your wife love you?

I believe so. Quite a lot if she is telling the truth.

The internet says you have two rabbits.

And a cat.

Are you friendly with any other Scottish writers?

Not at the moment. Haven’t met any recently. Would love to. I'm English BTW.

Inspired by and many of the questions supplied by this Guardian article.
All answers provided by John Potter

2 comments:

John Hoggard said...

I'm Scottish by the way (by birth if not by upbringing!)

And I love this interview, I'm tempted to do it myself!

Unknown said...

That would be very cool, I'd love to read your answers. They are great questions and it was great fun doing this.